Plný text je přístupný pouze z počítačů Ostravské univerzity
Between 1903 and 1938, Gainesville’s moderate phosphate, turpentine and tung oil industries made room for the industry that, today (ca. 2008) drives the Gainesville economy. In 1905, when the Florida Legislature sited the University of Florida, the State’s college for men, in Gainesville, the city was known for its good drinking water and lack of other drink or activities that might get young men into trouble. The University offered its first classes in Gainesville in 1906, having relocated from its previous home in Ocala (FL). Along with its move, its mission had also changed, broadened from that of the East Florida Seminary that it had been. University population and offerings grew steadily over time. Women were admitted, albeit under limiting circumstances, for the first time in 1925. The University of Florida would not see its next growth spurt until after World War II. Gainesville, since 1854, has been the seat of Alachua County (FL) government.--E.-.
In brief, McCreary came from a well established southern family, with prominent relatives throughout his contemporary American South. Following the completion of a degree from the University of Kentucky, McCreary established himself as a newspaper editor at the age of twenty. Throughout his publishing career, he also rose to prominence as a politician in the Democratic Party, first as a City Councilman and later as a member of the State Assembly, re-elected several times. McCreary considered himself a staunch patriot. He fervently supported industrialization as a means of strengthening Florida and the Nation. McCreary’s wife, born Irene Richardson, was well connected in Gainesville and northeast Florida’s civic networks as well. She served, for a time, both as Vice President of the Florida Federation of Women’s Clubs and president of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.-.
Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center..
The Gainesville (FL) Daily Sun [LCCN: sn95026977] continued the Daily Sun [LCCN: sn95026976] beginning sometime in 1903. Exact dates are uncertain; mast-heads and catalog data suggest that for a brief time between 1903 and 1908 or 1918, the newspaper bore the title, the Gainesville (FL) Sun [LCCN: sn95026969]. It continued to be published in Gainesville, Florida. In 1938, the Gainesville Daily Sun merged with the Alachua County (FL) News [LCCN: sn96027436] to form the Gainesville Daily Sun and the Alachua County News [LCCN: sn95026980]. The Daily Sun and the Gainesville Daily Sun both were self-described as "democratic" papers. Gainesville Daily Sun, like its predecessor, was published daily, except Mondays, by Henry Hamilton McCreary. H.H. McCreary is one of the best researched of Florida’s newspaper publishers; documentation is maintained by the Florida Historical Society.-.
Semiweekly ed.: Gainesville sun (Gainesville, Fla. : 1903), <1903-1918>.
Description based on: Vol. 20, no. 48 (Apr. 5, 1903).