Publisher: D.E. Godwin, May 1, 1903-<Sept. 27, 1904>; W.L. Hill, Oct. 4, 1904-
Plný text je přístupný pouze z počítačů Ostravské univerzity
The Gainesville (FL) Star [LCCN: sn95047242] began with the issue for May 1, 1903 and was published by D.E. Godwin in Gainesville (FL). The newspaper subsequently published semiweekly at least through October 4, 1904 when W.L. Hill was serving as its publisher. Some issues bear the heading "Twice a Week" and publisher’s information within some issues refers to the "Gainesville (FL) Twice a Week Star". The newspaper appears to have been affiliated with the Democratic Party. Between 1903 and 1906, Gainesville’s moderate phosphate, turpentine and tung oil industries made room for the industry that, today (ca. 2008) drives the Gainesville economy. In 1905, when the Florida Legislature sited the University of Florida, the State’s college for men, in Gainesville, the city was known for its good drinking water and lack of other drink or activities that might get young men into trouble. The University offered its first classes in Gainesville in 1906, having relocated from its previous home in Ocala (FL). Along with its move, its mission had also changed, broadened from that of the East Florida Seminary that it had been. Gainesville, since 1854, has been the seat of Alachua County (FL) government. The Gainesville Star carried the reprinted news of the world together with local news. Among the issues discussed regularly if not prominently was Gainesville’s 1904 adoption of a "dry ticket" and the closure of saloons. The adoption of this ticket would later help Gainesville acquire the University from its completion in Live Oak (FL).--E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center..