Plný text je přístupný pouze z počítačů Ostravské univerzity
In 1882, the small West Florida community of Orange was founded in anticipation of a railroad to connect the farming area with markets in the Florida cities of Pensacola and Tallahassee and cities in Alabama and Georgia. Shortly after the railroad arrived, the town was renamed Chipley in honor of William D. Chipley, vice-president of the Pensacola and Atlantic Railroad, a notable figure in the political and economic history of the area, and an aggressive lobbyist for railroad land grants. The town’s first newspaper, the Intelligencer [LCCN: not known to exist], edited by J.C. Langley, was also begun in 1882. The paper was renamed the Chipley Banner [LCCN: sn95047263] in 1893 and published under this name until 1943 when it merged with the Washington County (FL) News [LCCN: sn81000810], also published in Chipley from May 1931 and continuing under that title today (ca. 2007). "The town that was built on a railroad," Chipley is the county seat of Washington County, located inland in Florida’s Panhandle south of the Alabama state line. The current Washington County News is a weekly published by Maurice Pujol and owned by Chipley Newspapers, Inc. With a circulation just over 2,000, the paper is affiliated with the Holmes County (FL) Advertiser [LCCN: sn95047240], published in Bonifay, Florida, also published by Chipley Newspapers, Inc., and owned by Pujol.--E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center..
Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 2 (July 15, 1893).